Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Evaluating my GAME Plan

Is anyone else amazed that another week has already passed? As I think about my goals and how I am doing in meeting them, I am torn. Part of me feels like I have not dedicated near enough time into them, however, the other part of me thinks I am naturally incorporating steps into my daily teaching and planning to meet them. My biggest problem is that I continuously feel like I should be doing more and can not seem to be satisfied with celebrating the things I have implemented. Does anyone feel this way? I am continuing to update my website, encouraging my students to blog, my students independently completed a descriptive writing activity and presented it on Tagxedo, a group of students is working on a script for a voicethread about what we are discovering in science, and parents are telling me that their kids are coming home excited to show them new things they are learning in school.

My goal for this week is to introduce http://www.makebeliefscomix.com/ to my students as a choice for free-write time.

4 comments:

  1. Barlow,

    It sounds like everything is going well for your GAME Plan. Have you been adding links you use in your lessons to your Website for parents to explore? Have you thought about adding your students’ work as a link to your Website? I bet your parents would love to see the Voicethread and Tagxedo creations. By the way, I had never heard of Tagxedo, so I looked up the site. It looks like fun. Did your students enjoy the project? Thanks for the new idea to make writing more interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barlow,

    I feel the same at times as the weeks fly by in our classrooms. Teaching elementary again after years at the middle school level is overwhelming in itself. I am meeting my goals, but some of them will not be in place until the near future. I am updating my web site for the parents and students and finding a way to by pass my blogging issues with our county. Some incorporated tools will have to wait. Classroom management and basic skills seems to be a priority right now in my classroom.

    What is the Tagxedo program all about? I have never heard of this program.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Mintzer

    I am glad you took the time to explore tagxedo. My favorite feature is the ability to add your own word or shape. My students are currently typing the name of the main character in the story they are reading and then filling that name with descriptive words about that character.

    @ gradrunner

    http://www.tagxedo.com/app.html it is a site similar to wordle, but much better. I understand your need to spend more time with classroom management and planning. I made the switch from sixth to second, and goodness even with a year under my belt, I still have days when I feel lost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. Thanks for understanding. I am just trying to iron out group work and move cohesively in stations to do different things. Baby steps !!!

    ReplyDelete