Wednesday, September 29, 2010

My Progress...

Our technology committee met this week and I left there quite discouraged. Of our 75 laptops we have had in the previous years, 26 of them are broken. I know that I should be thankful for the laptops that we do have, however, at a time when I am anxious and enthusiastic to implement new lessons into my classroom with my students, it is discouraging to learn that our mode of instruction is diminishing. As a second grade teacher I am kind of at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to prioritizing what grade level would benefit the most from the computers and when we are now sharing 49 computers between 636 students, my time available for computer check out is looking slim. In relation to how this is impacting my progress with the goals I have set, I will say that my first instinct was to revamp them as I felt like why bother if we don't have the tools. But then my pouting session ended and I decided to be proactive. I have applied for several grants in hopes of adding more computers back into our school.

Our tech committee has already started discussing what lessons we want to share with the other teachers first to get more technology integrated into the classrooms across the grade levels. My students began blogging today about the books they are reading and I am anxious for more to begin sharing their writing on the blog as the week progresses. Parents are actively checking the class website and responding to my emails. I am hoping to get parents to begin commenting on the class blog as well. I think this will be a powerful tool for students, as it guarantees them an audience.

2 comments:

  1. Colleen,

    Are you using a school directed blog site, or an open one like blogspot.com? That is awesome if your school allows you to use sites outside school control. I hope your parent jump on board and start blogging. Good luck with that adventure. Is there a blog set up separate from your students?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our school requires us to use the blog granted to us through our class website. We used to have more freedom with blogging, but they have cracked down pretty hard on the blogging policy now.

    I hope to have my parents respond to my students writing on the student blog.

    ReplyDelete